Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

I have been at a dead run of late but today I am feeling very blessed.

Last week I went to San Diego to work the SDSU Writers Conference. I've been doing this conference for 20 years and it's become a part of my life. Time and again I talk about the energy buzz that comes from such an event. Put 300 hopeful writers in a room with the very people (editors and agents) who can make their dreams come true and you'd have to be dead not to get a charge from the vibe. It's such a rewarding experience for me to be a part of it every year because each year, someone from our conference does go on to get that publishing contract they dreamed of.

But, it's also a lot of work. Right now, as usual, I'm juggling my day job, my writing, my family and school. And Murphy's Law, the day I left for my conference my edits came in for my new book, and while I was there I had 3 assignments due for school. Sheesh.

I had a ton of fun though. I got together with one of my best friends, Tracy and we went out with another friend, Maria, who used to be my student assistant 15 years ago when I worked at SDSU. She's now a grown up and fabulous one at that. I also got together with my good friend Mary Leo who is also an amazing writer, her husband Rick Watkins (who has published under the name Terry Watkins, also fabuloso) and their daughter Jocelyn who is beginning on her journey to be a writer. My daughter Hailey came out as well and had a great reception to her novel in progress.

The week ended with a dinner at my dear friend Jan's house. I used to work for Jan when I started at SDSU 20 plus years ago, and am so blessed that we've moved from employer / employee to friends. From my very first critique group back when I was writing my very first book (WEB OF SMOKE), my friend Leona and her long-time partner Glee joined us. They announced that they'd married this last fall and I couldn't be happier for them. It was a great night with Tracy and her daughter who is the same age as mine (we were pregnant with our girls one right after the other) and Maria joined us as well.

Some days I look at all my blessings and I'm just filled with love. I am such a lucky woman.

1 comment:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Wow, It does sound like you have been busy. But sometimes busy is fun and it sounds like you've been having fun! Take care.